Friday, July 10, 2009

My Tribute to Illinois Highway 49

Today we are here to honor a most irrelevant and unenjoyable road by the name of Illinois Highway 49. Beginning in Willow Hill, Illinois, and ending north of Crescent City at the juncture of US 45/52, the road goes through no major cities. Traveling it is about as interesting as watching paint dry while listening to a Perry Como song. Other than being a decent way to get to Chicago from Vermilion County and getting grain trucks to interstate highways, it seems to serve no real purpose.

I admit I am a bit biased. The only speeding ticket I ever received was on a deserted stretch of the road just outside of Brockton. I'm sure I wasn't the only person ever to get a ticket on that road, but it still smarts. I never speed as fast as I was, but the bland scenery, combined with me being in deep thought, just happened to kick the speedometer above 70 just when a state trooper drove by in the other lane.

Even given my personal bias, and the definite mediocrity of the road, I can't entirely dislike it. The road, especially the part from Fithian to its northern terminus, has been well traveled by me. It has taken me on field trips, chess meets and family vacations. As I mentioned before, its a good way to get to Chicago from my hometown. I have good memories of traveling down that road, the sun barely up in the east, the early morning frost sitting on the fields. And if it creates such positive memories, it can't be all bad, right?

No comments:

THE NATIONAL PARKS: My Parks