Saturday, July 25, 2009

Roads of the States: Tennessee

Of all the southern states save for my former home Virginia, Tennessee is probably the one I am most acquainted with. Sometimes the Volunteer State is the destination, with places such as Knoxville, Shiloh, and the Smoky Mountains. Other times it has been a state to cross, as in most of my trips to Florida, and the band trip to Atlanta my sophomore year in high school. Either way I have become familiar with many of its roads.

The one I am most familiar with is Interstate 24. As the main connection between Nashville and I-75 at Chattanooga, and therefore Florida, it has carried me many times. I've traveled its entire length in the state, usually accessing it just north of the state line near Hopkinsville, KY. Its path includes one of the most scenic scenes on the Eastern section of the interstate highway system, rising high atop the Appalachians near Monteagle, before plunging back down towards Chattanooga. For a good stretch, the road parallels the Tennesee River, the last segment located in the shadow of Lookout Mountain. It is by far the most enjoyable part of the drive from Illinois to Florida, which is on the whole a rather bland drive.

In addition to I-24, I've also spent a lot of time on I-40, and I-75. Both are good ways to get to the Smoky Mountains from Illinois, and both played a significant role in getting us to Virginia during my post-college Civil War trip. I've traveled all of I-75 in the state, but haven't really traveled west of Nashville on I-40. Even traveling on I-40 east of Nashville, you get a sense of how wide the state of Tennessee is. Its no wonder some places in the east of the state are closer to Washington than Nashville.

As for shun-piking, I can't say I have done that much in the state. I've travelled the scenic roads in and around Smoky Mountain National Park, and have also done some traveling on the roads near Shiloh and Pickwick Lake. I've wanted to check out the Natchez Trace Parkway, but the closest I have come is crossing the road while traveling US 64 towards Monteagle on the Civil War trip.

For a Yankee flatlander, I have to say I enjoy most of the scenery of Tennessee. Its rolling hills in the west and center, and alternating mountains and valleys in the east are very enjoyable. I can't say the drive through Nashville has ever been very pleasant, but it is a nice looking city. I hope some day to drive more of the roads of the home state of Old Hickory.

No comments:

THE NATIONAL PARKS: My Parks